Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Shakespeare of paper





Or at least Shakespeare I can understand. I first came across Rob Ryan's amazing work in my beloved Frankie magazine, the poster now hangs on my studio wall. Now everytime I see a new piece of his, I gush at the whimsy that is so intricately hand-cut out of each paper piece. Ryan has had great success, transitioning original paper cut pieces to fashion, laser-cut editions and now has worked with Urban Outfitters to produce his own edition of a Lomo camera.
Ryan's pieces seem to inspire my own pieces in that I wish to create that same warm surrealism in my own work that seems to resonate from his. I've also always appreciated fine and delicate work, that takes patience that is hard to come by in our fast-paced world. Makes me want to go saw-pierce a paper doily out of metal...I'm workin' on it.
One day I plan to own a Ryan piece. The only problem is choosing which one I guess.







http://rob-ryan.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment